ABOUT WORLD THROMBOSIS DAY
World Thrombosis Day (WTD) is one day – October 13 – around the world dedicated to focusing attention on the often overlooked and misunderstood disease burden caused by thrombosis globally…but it is not a one-time observance.
WTD is an annual day that also will energize a collective drive to increase awareness and action through educational activities for the public and health professionals throughout the year, year to year.
At the heart of WTD are dozens of thrombosis and hemostasis societies, patient advocacy groups, medical/scientific organizations and other interested parties from around the world who seek to:
- Increase the awareness about the prevalence and risks from thrombosis
- Reduce the number of undiagnosed cases
- Increase the implementation of evidence-based prevention
- Encourage health care systems to implement strategies to ensure “best practices” for prevention, diagnosis and treatment
- Advocate for adequate resources for these efforts and increased support for research to reduce the disease burden from thrombosis
- Ultimately save lives
While this is an ambitious agenda, WTD spotlights the urgency of raising awareness today and, ultimately, turning awareness into action on many fronts.